Wednesday 28 January 2009

"But I believe...

...Aang will save the world". I may have mentioned this before but I am mad for anime. In the hands of its principal exponents it is an art form. The renowned Studio Ghibli collection is unparalleled anywhere: Howl's Moving Castle, and the Castle of Cagliostro being among my favourites. Anime however, is not just a Japanese preserve. Nickelodeons excellent Avatar series The Legend Of Aang has taken me and my son Luca on our own odyssey. Its principal characters Aang, Sokka and Katara feel like part of our family now. As events have unfolded I have been moved from enmity to sympathy for Prince Zuko on his trajectory from royalty to outcast, from darkness to redemption; I have been enlightened by the zen-like tutelage of Iro his compassionate and wise uncle; and laughed my sides sore at the antics of Sokka. In its treatment of themes as diverse as friendship, loyalty, love, responsibility, evil and redemption it sets exemplary role models for developing children. Who said TV had to be bad for children?

No comments: