Saturday 13 September 2008

Inspiration in unlikely places

"Try not. Do. Or do not." - Master Yoda

Inspiration can come from anywhere and, clearly, the diminutive Jedi master has much to teach us. Star Wars enthusiasts might recognize the quote but I came across it quite by accident last night as Luca and I cuddled up in front of the TV for our Friday night film fix. It occurs in Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back when Yoda, schooling Luke in the ways of the force, chides his pupil for his negativity in a failed exercise to lift his crashed craft from a swamp. Like most great quotes it is wonderfully concise and very profound. I was immediately struck by the words. I always seem to be trying instead of doing. So this morning after another disturbed night when I was awoken by pain I ended my training hiatus with a 7 mile run. I didn’t dwell on reasons why I might not run – I just did run. I clocked 49:51 for the distance. It felt good to be running again for as Yoda also said "Always in motion is the future" – words for a marathoner to live by.

No comments: