Friday 5 September 2008

Facing the music


No subject divides runners more vehemently than the run-with-music/run-without-music debate. There is no denying the prevalence of iPods and other conveniently sized mp3 players in our everyday lives. And marvellous devices they are too. I personally love to listen to Radio 4 podcasts of “In Our Time” covering as they do every imaginable subject from Grail legend to the Battle of Tours - but not when I’m running. Incidentally, being something of an iconoclast, I don’t own an iPod. I have a generic mp3 player instead. But that’s a story for another day.

Running purists extol its simplicity: its closeness to nature. They argue that iPods are another symptom of an increasingly selfish society that encourages isolationism and lack of engagement with others. Wear earphones and a large part of the sensory running experience is lost. Personally I’m not against iPods but I prefer to run without music – even on long runs. If I couldn’t hear the cadence of my breathing or the rhythm of my footfall a lot of what I enjoy about running would be lost. Other I runners I know like music to motivate them and choose their playlists meticulously. That’s OK too. The running community is a broad church and can accommodate both camps.I want to avoid the pseudo-philosophy that can often accompany the purists camp [for an excellent exposition read “Running: A Marathon For The Mind” edited by Amby Burfoot] but it is true that the mind follows satisfying threads of its own during long runs that music would interrupt. In the end you should do whatever gets you out there.I didn’t run this morning – I’m tapering!
A special thanks to Michael and Nicola my biggest sponsors yet. Your generosity distinguishes you both. Loved the Zatopek quotation Michael: I have now adopted it as my motif!

No comments: