Sunday 7 September 2008

Loneliness of the long distance runner

When I started this blog I swore I would never sully it by using such an obvious pun on Alan Sillitoe’s existentialist masterpiece. Until now that is. Sometimes circumstance drives events in way that are impossible to predict. It saddens me to say that Sunday morning lethargy in the Connor camp meant today's half marathon was a one man operation. As Luca put it, this was only a practise run – he’d be there for the marathon. Elissa, stretched by my toothache induced histrionics didn’t feel inclined to persuade him. And so the stage was set. Drama never became so elevated. Running toward the finish I empathised with our eponymous hero. I was running by myself for myself. That said, their was camaraderie in the packs and associations were made however loosely: shallow connections with my fellow runners based only on their running cadence and their backward appearance. They came and went as the miles ticked by and their efforts encouraged my own. My impressions of the race still haven’t settled yet. I’ll post more fully when they do. In the end I clocked 1:30:33 for the distance. I was disappointed not to break 1:30 but a marker had been set. A first and, by default, a personal best.

Kirsten Watt I was touched by your contribution. To donate your pocket money to the cause instead of buying McFly merchandise clearly reflects your increasing maturity – and taste! On that note of gratitude, I applaud those people who have contributed to the campaign so far who don’t know me personally. Kara McKee, Nancy Allan and Lynda Donnelly a special thanks to you all. Not for you the obligation of association but the purest motive of good-heartedness. Thank you.

No comments: